McKern News

Portable Long Service Leave...are you required to be registered?

Published on Topic:

QLeave is the name used by the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Authority, established to administer a paid long service leave scheme for eligible workers in the building and construction industry, regardless of whether they work on different projects for one or more employers. 

Employers in Queensland’s building and construction industry must register with the Scheme and advise QLeave of their workers’ service each year.  Please note, there is no cost for employers or workers to be registered with QLeave. The Scheme is funded by a levy on all building and construction work in Queensland costing $150,000 or more (excluding GST).  In October of each year, QLeave makes available a Long Service Leave Statement.  Workers can claim their long service leave from QLeave after 10 years of recorded service.  An employer who pays long service leave to a registered worker under the Industrial Relations Act 1999, may claim reimbursement from QLeave for some, or all, of the payment made to the worker. This can be submitted at 

The building and construction industry includes constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing buildings and other works including structures and fixtures. It can be done on-site and off-site.  Workers who are eligible to join and record service with QLeave include tradespersons, trade assistants and labourers who perform building and construction work in Queensland and who are engaged:

> as a trainee or apprentice

> as a full-time, part-time or casual employee

> as a sole trader subcontractor (providing substantially labour only)

> as a foreperson or sub-foreperson (who perform building and supervision work)

> by a labour hire company. 

Employer Obligations

As an employer of the above type of employees, you will need to use the employer online services to:

1.       Register with the Scheme

2.       Inform QLeave of your workers’ service by completing an annual Worker Service Return (by 31 July each year)

3.       Advise QLeave of new and terminating workers

4.       Claim reimbursement for long service leave you have paid to a registered worker (the claim must be submitted to QLeave within 3 months from the date the leave was paid to the worker). 

For your convenience, please use the following link to the QLeave website, where the Employer Online Services can be found.  Please contact us directly if you required further assistance or clarification in relation to your obligations.